Porters play a vital role throughout NHS hospitals. They move frail and often very ill patients between different departments and wards in safety and comfort. They also transport complex and valuable equipment that may need expert handling around the building. Without them the hospital could not function.
The Portering Services provides a key support service to the Trust with roles that include:
- Collection and movement of patients.
- Collection and delivery of specimens.
- Delivery of meals to the wards.
- Delivery and collection of linen.
- Movement of furniture and equipment.
The Porters undertake a high standard of training within the department, this includes Medical Gas Training, Hand Hygiene training, Trust Induction and Local Training, as well as Trust Mandatory Training to ensure highly motivated, well-trained staff.