NHS COVID-19 App
Protect your loved ones. Download the NHS COVID-19 app.
The NHS COVID-19 contact tracing app for England and Wales is the fastest way of knowing when you’re at risk from coronavirus. The quicker you know, the quicker you can alert your loved ones and your community.
The more of us that use it the better we can control coronavirus.
Who is it for?
Everyone aged over 16 in England or Wales.
How do I access it?
The NHS COVID-19 app is free to download from the App Store and Google Play.
How does it work?
The NHS COVID-19 app runs on proven software developed by Apple and Google, designed so that nobody will know who or where you are. You can delete your data or the app at any time.
It has a number of features:
- Trace: find out when you've been near other app users who have tested positive for coronavirus.
- Alert: lets you know the level of coronavirus risk in your postcode district.
- Check-in: get alerted if you've visited a venue where you may have come into contact with coronavirus, using a simple QR code scanner. No more form filling. How to use QR codes guide here
- Symptoms: check if you have coronavirus symptoms and see if you need to order a test.
- Test: helps you order a test if you need to.
- Isolate: keep track of your self-isolation countdown and access relevant advice.
The app is available in the following languages:
- Punjabi (Gurmukhi script)
- Chinese (Simplified)
- Arabic (Modern Standard)
More information is online here: https://covid19.nhs.uk/pdf/introducing-the-app.pdf
What information is used? What about privacy?
The app collects the following information and holds it on your phone:
- The postcode district you enter when you install the app, this is the first part of your postcode before the space
- The symptom information you enter onto the app
- The QR poster codes of the venues that you scan into the app
You are able to view all the data held about you and you can delete it at any time.
More information on privacy is online here